Nusa Ceningan is a tiny island located roughly 15km south east of Sanur’s coast. It is one of the Trio Islands that include Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida. We love Nusa Ceningan for its unspoiled natural beauty -- there really is no way to explain how breathtaking the crystal clear waters and stunning white sand beaches are. These sights are fast becoming a rarity in other parts of Bali. Rugged landscapes and stunning picturesque panorama can also be found scattered on all sides of the Trio Islands.
A few months ago, we set sail to a weekend-getaway there with a group of friends, and chose to stay at Le Pirate Beach Club. Le Pirate Beach Club is an amazing, affordable, ‘non star resort’ situated right on the coast of Ceningan. It was the perfect place for us to stay because just like what the website promises you—it gave us a true island experience!
What added to its allure are the picture-perfect turquoise and white beach boxes they provide. The resort boasts only 10 of them in total so it feels very private. You won’t feel like you’re staying at an every-day overcrowded resort. Even with other guests around, it’ll feel like you have the place to yourself.
We must admit, the beach boxes were tiny! And when we say tiny, we mean 2m x 2m with almost no roaming space. (If you were expecting some kind of glamorous mega resort similar to The Mulia or Ayana, don’t read any further!) In it, you’ll only find the essentials (each box has its own private outdoor bathroom, don’t worry). Nevertheless, what it lacks in size, it makes up for in charm and a whole lot of personality.
We'd also like to give huge thanks to the very friendly staff who were there to assist us anytime we had a concern or question. They gave us helpful advice on how to get around the island and which spots were worth seeing!
Reserving a Room at Le Pirate Beach Club
We recommend to book long ahead of time, as rooms are rather limited. The best time to go is around August-November; the weather is perfect and you’ll avoid high season crowds and prices.
1. You can directly call them at +62 361 7416833 to make arrangements
2. Book a room through their website www.lepirate-beachclub.com
3. You can also easily reserve a room through online travel agencies such as Agoda
There are two types of rooms/beach boxes that they provide
1. Standard: Contains a double bed, fan, and private outdoor bathroom suitable for two people max -
320,000 IDR/night or $32.00
320,000 IDR/night or $32.00
2. Shared: Contains 2 bunk beds, fan, and private outdoor bathroom suitable for four people max -
480,000 IDR/night or $42.000
(Air conditioning requires an additional charge!)
How to Get There
1. You must first take a speedboat from Sanur Beach to Nusa Lembongan. Tickets sell for 60,000 IDR or roughly around $5.00, and are available at a booth near the famous fish restaurant ‘Warung Ikan Mak Beng’ at the end of Jalan Han. Choose the speedboat that takes you to Mushroom Bay, Nusa Lembongan. This will take approximately 30-40 minutes. You must go via Nusa Lembongan because there are no boats that directly go to Nusa Ceningan.
2. Once you arrive at Mushroom Bay, we suggest renting a motorbike to crossover to Nusa Ceningan, which will take approximately 20-30 minutes. Motorbike rentals are available near the boat drop off point. If you're unable to ride a motorbike, you can easily arrange a pick-up from Le Pirate Beach Club, which will cost you 150,000 IDR one way.